Executive Director, Intellectual Property Management & Economic Development
Company: University of Rhode Island
Posted on: August 7, 2022
This is an open until filled search. First consideration will be
given to applications received by August 8, 2022.Basic
Function:Responsible for the development of faculty and staff
entrepreneurship as it relates to commercialization and economic
development of the University's research activities and the
management of the University's intellectual property. Advance the
university's intellectual property by valuation, market analysis,
commercialization of protected intellectual property, and the
development of business relationships with corporate and government
sectors. - - - -Essential Duties And Responsibilities:Serve as a
member of the senior leadership team of the Vice President for
Research and Economic Development.Assist the Vice President for
Research and Economic Development in crafting the long-term vision
and strategic plan for the Division of Research and Economic
Development.Manage and direct the University's Intellectual
Property & Economic Development Office, including the work of its
patent attorney.Advise faculty and staff on matters related to
entrepreneurship, intellectual property, commercialization, and
economic development.Assist faculty and staff on matters related to
the development and processes involved in invention disclosure,
patenting, and licensing of technologies and other works that may
have commercial potential.Draft, negotiate, and execute license,
research, and material transfer agreements.Serve as ex-officio
member of the University's Intellectual Property Committee.Assist
the Vice President for Research and Economic Development in the
formulation of strategies to promote regional economic development
through intellectual property transfer.Perform valuation, market
analysis, and commercialization of protected intellectual
property.Develop business partnerships with corporate, government,
and private sectors.Form new businesses either directly or
indirectly using the University's intellectual property created by
faculty, staff, and students.Coordinate the transfer of mature
intellectual properties to the URI Research Foundation (URIRF), and
work closely with the Exec. Director of the URIRF to provide a
seamless range of services to manage the full life-cycle of
commercializable properties.Work with the URI Research Foundation's
COO and/or business development officer(s) to market URI
intellectual property to companies and corporations.Responsible for
identifying product development funds and negotiating
agreements.Engage in fundraising.Other Duties And
Responsibilities:Assist the Vice President for Research and
Economic Development on other matters as required.Licenses, Tools
And Equipment:Personal computers, printers; word processing,
database management and spreadsheet software.Required
- Master's degree in a STEM science field with three years of
experience in the management of intellectual property and
technology transfer, OR, a Bachelor's degree in a STEM field with
five years of experience in the management of intellectual property
and technology transfer.
- Either three (with master's degree) or five years (with
Bachelor's degree) of experience in a managerial role that includes
fiscal planning and budgeting.
- Demonstrated professional experience with strategic management
and commercialization of intellectual property.
- Demonstrated understanding of intellectual property protection
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in research and intellectual
- Demonstrated experience with entrepreneurship and new company
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and interpersonal communication
- Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple, complex
- Demonstrated experience in drafting and negotiating licenses
and research agreements.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating markets for
- Demonstrated experience in identifying potential licenses.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing strategies to promote
economic development through intellectual property transfer.
- Demonstrated general knowledge of state, federal, and private
sector procedures and policies that affect commercialization of
university-generated intellectual property.Preferred Qualifications
- An advanced degree in one of the STEM sciences.
- USPTO registration.
- Demonstrated understanding of the key needs of both
corporations and of faculty researchers.
- Demonstrated experience showing successful private and public
fundraising for programs and projects.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to
reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Keywords: University of Rhode Island, Warwick , Executive Director, Intellectual Property Management & Economic Development, Executive , Kingston, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!