Outside Buyer/Cat Converter Specialist
Company: Pick-n-Pull Auto and Truck Dismantlers
Posted on: February 24, 2021
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page: The Outside Buyer/Cat
Converter Specialist reports to the Regional Account Manager or NF
Commercial Ops Manager/Director. This individual is responsible for
generating purchases of scrap metals (both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous)
for the book of business within his/her defined geographic area.
Incumbent is required to visit facilities of current and potential
suppliers within their area which may include scrap dealers,
demolition contractors, industrial manufacturers, auto wreckers,
and any other scrap generating project or company. The Outside
Buyer/Cat Converter Specialist continually investigates new sources
of scrap to develop relationships leading to procurement of all
grades of metals. The Outside Buyer/Cat Converter Specialist is
required to focus on developing and building customer/supplier
relationships and negotiating prices and contracts that build,
grow, and retain the supplier base. Incumbent must be knowledgeable
of all different types of Ferrous and Non-Ferrous scrap grades in
order to assess the value, quality, and the required processing to
maximize profit for the company. The Outside Buyer/Cat Converter
Specialist will work with several cross-functioning teams within
the organization to successfully maximize volume and margin
requirements based on the commercial strategy. This individual must
be knowledgeable about handling and processing costs for all
commodities and possess a thorough understanding of the current
pricing strategy. The Outside Buyer/Cat Converter Specialist must
understand current market conditions and be cognizant of customer's
and competitor's pricing.-- Essential Functions:
- Environmental, Health and Safety
- Ensures safe work practices and equipment are used at all times
and that documentation and current practices are in accordance with
company safety policies, OSHA, and other regulatory guidelines. In
addition, provides a safe environment for employees, customers, and
- Communicates and reinforces MRB's position on scrap acceptance
in line with Environmental, Health, and Safety regulations.
- Operational Performance & Best Management Practices
- Contacts current and potential suppliers, both in person and
over the phone.
- Maintains current relationships and develops/expands supplier
- Communicates daily with other facilities per purchase contracts
or known commitments.
- Educates and trains customers on scrap quality and acceptance
policy; monitors to ensure compliance with current
- Competitive Bid Preparation:
- Prepares and submits bids in response to request for
- Works with the Inside Buyer to prepare standard bid forms for
approval by the Regional Director of Commercial Operations.
- Calculates resources that will be needed to support the bid
- Communicates with the Regional Account Manager or Director of
Commercial Operations when confirming bids or pricing requests that
come in for a significant quantity of material.
- Reviews current market conditions and the company's inventory
position with the Commercial Operations team to obtain guidance
before making significant or long-term purchases.
- Encourages suppliers to move product to the facilities as
quickly as possible.
- Advance Payments;
- Advances payments to suppliers in accordance with published MRB
and regional policy.
- Servicing of Existing Supplier Base
- Reviews transactions and purchase activities daily.
- Ensures proper pricing is on hand for the Commercial Operations
team and Scale Receiving teams.
- Verifies that the scale purchase system has the latest pricing
and coordinates with the facility's Office Manager to ensure the
pricing is continuously brought up to date.
- Entertains and maintains a requisite relationship with key
top-tier customers in order to ensure the best customer service and
added value experience for our suppliers/customers.
- Marketing & Business Development
- Works with the Regional Account Manager to develop a written
plan of action.
- Spends approximately 25% of the work week in search of new
business both to build his/her own book of business.
- Portrays a positive image for Schnitzer Metals Recycling
Business (MRB) during discussions or visits with customers.
- Administrative Management
- Coordinates with office staff to ensure accurate and timely
documentation of all purchasing transactions.
- Provides weekly reports on number of visits to customers,
quantity and quality of material purchased, follow-up action that
is anticipated or required, expense reports, etc.
- Responsible for growing catalytic converter business to meet
- Maintains consistent knowledge and adequate training to
properly identify and value catalytic converters.
- Must train and support the regional commercial and ops teams as
it relates to catalytic converters.
- Must leverage current business relationships and develop a new
supplier base for long term gain.
- Facilitates physical and virtual grading in response to request
- Comprehends key cat metrics such as parts per million, weight
of ceramic, contained and returnable ounces, hedging, etc.
- Understands Platinum Group Metals and the dynamic of
- Maintains an understanding of the market and competitive
dynamic as it relates to catalytic converters.
- Supports the Catalytic Converter Commercial Manager in
analysis, reporting, and other tasks/duties as assigned.
- Sees to the distribution of all regional catalytic converter
pricing structure guidelines to all involved. Internal Control
Responsibilities: Supports the Company's Internal Control process
which includes understanding, communicating and complying with
defined internal controls, as well as suggesting and making
modifications to the policies, procedures and controls to better
relate to the business. Communicates to superiors any problems with
noncompliance of the code of conduct, policy violations, or illegal
actions. Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not
directly supervise any employees. Job Conditions: Average office
environment; occasional exposure to dirt and dust related to scrap
yard environment. Work pressure can be substantial during peak
times, requiring considerable adaptability; disturbances of work
flow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected to occur
on an intermittent basis. Offsite work involves meeting in person
with current or potential customers, and visiting other Schnitzer
locations. Regional travel required. Physical Activities Required
to perform Essential Functions: Ability to sit, stand, or walk for
extended periods of time, up to 6-8 hours per day; bend at waist;
operate a vehicle,; use hands to write or keyboard; assemble
papers, staple; photo copy; use ten-key; be mobile within an
average office environment; and communicate by phone and in person
in a professional manner. Visual acuity to read detailed documents,
inspect material and use a computer.-- Qualifications: Bachelor's
degree in Marketing or Business is preferred, but not required, in
addition to 5+ years industry sales experience and/or 5-10 years
experience as a metal buyer in the scrap industry. This position
requires possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to
drive an automobile. Knowledge of testing and identifying metal
alloys; superior customer service skills; MS Office suite, tact and
ability to communicate with people at all levels, both orally and
in writing, in a professional manner; excellent mathematical and
problem solving skills; strong negotiation skills attention to
detail and accuracy; and basic typing and 10-key skills. Ability
to: have practical understanding to carry out instructions
furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form; deal with
problems involving several specific variables in or from standard
situations. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to
describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills
required. All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and
all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older. Schnitzer
Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new
hires. An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries,
Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory
completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check. All
new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This
applies to all U.S. non-union employees. As an Equal Opportunity
Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on
the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability
status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior
industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any
other protected status under local, state or federal law.
Keywords: Pick-n-Pull Auto and Truck Dismantlers, Warwick , Outside Buyer/Cat Converter Specialist, Other , Warwick, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!