Apprentice Technician (School Bus)
Company: First Student
Posted on: February 20, 2021
First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in
North America, is now hiring an Entry Level Diesel Fleet
Technician! The Diesel Technician I performs routine maintenance
and repairs on vehicles (buses, vans, etc.) which includes tire
maintenance, fulfilling service calls for repair, conducting visual
inspections of vehicles, and related work as assigned under direct
supervision. This position handles basic issues and refers more
complex issues to higher-level staff. All work is performed with a
commitment to safety. First Student (a division of FirstGroup
America) is a leading provider of school transportation services.
We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with
school districts to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective
transportation for five million students per school day. We employ
more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
First Student is proud to offer:
- Hourly wages of $19.35 - $23.14 based on experience and
qualifications + ASE Certifications earn you bonus money!
- We provided all training and ASE test preparation
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule
- Consistent year-round work
- An excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation,
medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Ongoing training
- Opportunities for advancement nationwide
- A great work environment! Entry-Level Diesel Fleet Mechanic I
- Ensure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers by
performing repairs with minimal supervision on basic maintenance
such as replacement of light bulbs, fuses, lenses, wiper blades,
belts, hoses, batteries, checking fluid levels, changing fluids,
and filters, and lubricating components.
- Assist Tech II or III with preventative maintenance (PMs),
safety maintenance inspections, and annual maintenance
- Assist in accurately diagnosing and performing mechanical
repairs including the repair of brakes, suspensions, drivetrains,
transmission clutches, and other repairs under direct
- Maintain records of all maintenance work completed on vehicles
including parts and supplies used. Ensure that work orders are
completed properly and accurately.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval
- Notify the supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and
corrective action is taken.
- Move vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies, and procedures.
- Clean vehicles as requested or required.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Entry-Level Diesel Fleet Mechanic I Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred; vocational or
technical certification in vehicle repair preferred.
- Valid driver's license required; Must be able to obtain Class B
CDL with passenger endorsement within 3 months of hire.
- ASE Certification preferred. Must participate in ASE testing
program within 1 year (expected to have 1 ASE within 24 months of
- Basic mechanical aptitude and 0-1 years of automotive or diesel
repair experience (preferred) or equivalent education and
- Possess basic mechanic hand tools with enough tools to perform
- Adhere to standards set by state DOT for motor vehicle
inspections and safety standards.
- Basic problem-solving ability.
- Basic computer skills.
- Good customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain an organized shop and clean work
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function
of the job.
- Making sure vehicles are maintained and safe for our customers
- Be subject to a drug test. Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, or veteran status. FirstGroup is also
committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates
applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California,
FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San
Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance
Keywords: First Student, Warwick , Apprentice Technician (School Bus), Professions , Warwick, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!